[meteorite-list] PHOTO OF A LUNAR IMPACT EVENT (was Crackpot in the news...)

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Apr 24 05:16:49 2005

Hi!

Darren Garrison wrote:

> I'm still wondering over this line:
> "Bush said it is common to see meteorites, pieces of a meteor, hitting the Moon's surface, however, > but it was a rare occurrence to catch a meteor strike."

        I just sent a post under the old topic heading about vaguely
remembering this photo, and discounting it. But I just ran into a NASA
press release about the verification of this photo as an impact event,
#03-077 of 02-20-03. See, as soon as you blab on about how there ain't
no such thing, it pops up out of nowhere! Or, at least, it pops up out
of Google... Here's the story and the photo of an impact on the Moon.

NASA PRESS RELEASE 03-077 of 02-20-03
ABOUT POSSIBLE 1953 PHOTO OF IMPACT ON MOON:
<http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2003/feb/HP_news_03077.html>

THE SAME PRESS RELEASE BUT WITH THE PHOTO
<http://www.astrosurf.com/lunascan/ltp1956.htm>

LunaScan is a network of people who run automated telescopes to search
for TPL's (Transient Lunar Phenomenon). Here's their home page:
<http://www.astrosurf.com/lunascan/>

Sterling K. Webb