[meteorite-list] Crackpot in the news

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Apr 24 15:46:27 2005

It is an urban myth that the Moon is too bright for the HST. It can safely
look at the Moon, and has done so in the past. You can go to the MAST site
and download WFPC2 FITS data for lunar images. The trick with lunar imaging
is that the relative motion of the Moon is very fast, and the HST has to be
accurately maneuvered during the exposure. It certainly isn't done
routinely. In fact, I know of no real science data collected from lunar
images; the images that were made were made as a sort of demo of the HST
capabilities. The HST also points at the Earth, which is used as a
calibration target for some instruments.

I think "crackpot" accurately describes this fellow; whether or not he is a
deliberate liar I'll leave to others.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory