[meteorite-list] METEOROLOGIST

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Apr 25 13:25:16 2005

Manoj-

In terms of cosmic velocities, the rotation rate of the Earth is pretty
insignificant. In this case, the difference between east-west and west-east
is only a few hundred meters per second. More to the point is the time it
occurred- early evening. Because the zenith is receding at the orbital
velocity of the Earth at sunset, such fireballs tend to be caused by bodies
in prograde orbits which intersect the Earth at low relative speeds. As a
result, evening fireballs tend to be longer and are probably more likely to
produce meteorites. From the descriptions I've read, last night's event
sounds like a typical slow, bright, early evening fireball.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com