[meteorite-list] My own Franconia find!!!

From: Tom Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 29 11:40:10 2005

Hello List, I got a call from a restless Mike Miller
(www.meteoritefinder.com ) yesterday morning. He asked me if I wanted to
hunt Franconia with him, I saw little need because if I did not have bad
luck, I would not have any luck at all, but I went and as luck would have
it, Mike's luck rubbed off on me, probably while crossing the washes on the
road in, it was a little bumpy. : ) After a few hours searching the well
hunted strewn field, I spotted something, the metal detector went off, my
magnet liked it, it was the most beautiful stone, I had ever seen, great
crust, My first Franconia find, a dandy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/peregrineflier/franhotrock.jpg

But no, it was just one of the many hot rocks disguised as a meteorite like
this one.

Well after a couple more hours, I spotted something else, it did not look
like a meteorite, but it passed the same tests the hot rocks did, but looked
to out of place among all the meteorite looking hot rocks, to be anything
else. I called Mike over, he was not sure what it was either, he had never
seen a Franconia so ugly, I know I never had either. We looked at it, it
sure did not look like one, but we figured it was, so we Mike took a picture
of it just in case.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/peregrineflier/toms171fran.jpg

I picked it up and wiped the dirt off, it was not so bad after all, it is
about fifty percent crusted ( the buried side) and weighed in at 171.5
grams.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/peregrineflier/DSCN1103.jpg

It my not be the best looking Franconia out there, but it will always be my
favorite one!

Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier <><
http://www.frontiernet.net/~peregrineflier/Peregrineflier.htm