[meteorite-list] Astronomers to Decide What Makes a Planet

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 2 22:00:19 2005

Not at all. There is a difference between the public misusing something that
already has a formal definition (meteor), and the scientific establishment
adopting a new definition for a word that has been used in a certain way for
centuries (planet)- a definition at odds with how the word is now used.

I say come up with a new word. Then the planets are, and always will be,
what they are now- the nine bodies from Mercury to Pluto. And scientists
won't have to spend the next 100 years qualifying what they mean by planet
every time they talk with the lay public.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com