[meteorite-list] Astronomers to Decide What Makes a Planet

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 00:49:52 2005

What about 'planitesimal'? I had always thought that referred to an object
in orbit around the Sun that wasn't one of the 9 commonly accepted as
'planets'.

Personally, speaking from a planeto-centrist view, I'd say that the next
rock we find in orbit has to be at least the size of Mars before I could
concede it might be a planet. Pluto I'm willing to grandfather in, but none
of this frozen-uber-pea size stuff.

Tracy Latimer