[meteorite-list] Astronomers to Decide What Makes a Planet

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 13:12:56 2005

I suggested Persephone.

http://www.newscientistspace.com/channel/solar-system/dn7776

Join the battle of the planet names
12:51 02 August 2005
NewScientist.com news service
Sean O'Neill

Imagine your excitement if you discovered a new planet. The privilege of suggesting its name would
be yours. But what would you call it, and why?

We want you to send us your idea and the reason you chose it and we'll let you know the best. But
read on if you need inspiration.

The person facing the planet-naming conundrum for real is Caltech astronomer Mike Brown. He and his
team found our solar system?s tenth planet, which is larger than Pluto and currently three times
farther from the Sun.

The new world has been designated 2003 UB313 by the Minor Planet Center, but Brown has already
suggested a more catchy name to a 15-member panel at the International Astronomical Union, who will
make the final decision. The name in question is currently being kept strictly under wraps.

Brown's team had been calling the planet Xena, after TV?s Warrior Princess. "But that was our
tongue-in-cheek internal name, never intended for public consumption," he admits. Perhaps his
newborn daughter, Lilah, has offered further inspiration ? Brown's website on the new planet is
called www.lilahsplanet.com.

Gods and characters from classical mythology have most frequently provided names for solar system
worlds, but that need not stifle your creativity. And you may wish to bear in mind these official
guidelines:

? Names should be pronounceable, non-offensive, 16 characters or less in length and preferably one
word

? Names should not be too similar to an existing name of a minor planet or natural planetary
satellite

? Names for persons or events known primarily for their military or political activities are
acceptable only after 100 years elapsed since the person died or the event occurred

? Names of a purely or principally commercial nature are not allowed

? Names of pet animals are discouraged

So please send us your proposed name and your reasons for picking it and we will publish the best,
whether they be serious, intriguing, or just funny.