[meteorite-list] Planet Definition

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 13:51:30 2005

Dear List,
  One thing is certain. If the IAU doesn't come up
with SOME definition of planet, both the number and
names of planets will vary from textbook to textbook.
Kids won't know what's up.
  It is not a great moral issue if Pluto is a planet
to me or not, although I'd like to see it continue to
be and Xena, Quaouar, Sedna thrown in. Heck, Ceres
too.
  But if the ultimate definition excludes these then I
am not going to hang myself.
  It just is important that this issue be resolved
before the next textbook editions are printed.

Francis Graham