[meteorite-list] Astronomers to Decide What Makes a Planet

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 21:39:58 2005

Hi Tom and all,

In Reality Pluto wasn't named after the cartoon character, rather it was
a name picked out by the discover (and staff at Lowell) and having
something to do with the afterlife. I'm not sure if the Dog Pluto was
well know or even around at that time in 1930. This is a misconception
by many.

--AL

Tom Knudson wrote:

Hi list, I think they should name all those outer planet "want-to-be's"
after carton characters, heck we already have Pluto, we can add Mickey
and Mini, Daffy, Donald, bugs, porky, Sylvester and tweety! : )
Thanks, Tom

peregrineflier <><