[meteorite-list] persieds meteors

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 5 20:58:56 2005

All,

It is important to understand that the "Persieds" are
quite different from the "Perseids". There are two
accepted meanings. Some hold that the "persi-" is
derived from "persifler" (to banter, i.e, good-
natured and usually witty animated discourse) + "eds",
obviously a contracted form of "educational system".
Others argue that, in this context, it must come from
the Latin "per" (thoroughly)+sistere (to take a stand)
+ "D's"(with reference to the common ABCD grading
system). Hence, Persieds becomes "thoroughly founded
on solid "D"s.

Just in case any were confused,

Norm