[meteorite-list] STEVE'S ADS -- ONLY ONE

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 7 01:05:06 2005

Hi,

    I've just a slew of on and off List messages
from everybody who got six copies. Yes, yes,
many did, but that PROBABLY means that
when the original uninfected message (one copy)
got sent to by the List server to a member --
any one -- whose computer is infected with
this virus, the virus sent five copies of itself back
(including source header) with itself in it, so
now there's six copies on the List... and so forth.
    Don't want to spend a lot of time on virus
strategies -- they are many, complex, tricky --
kill'em now, autopsy'em later.
    If you want to blame Steve, your business,
or pleasure, as the case may be. (See time
sequence below.)
    I was just contributing data. Not everybody
got six copies. I got a copy of #1 and nothing
else. Now, since every email I get goes through
FIVE virus checks before I get to know of its
existence, #2 through #6 may have simply been
destroyed outright, gunned down at the border
and then the corpse burned to nothing. Some of
my programs are a trifle unsympathetic in their
attitudes, OK? I feel just terrible about it...
    If there were six copies went to everybody,
well, I'd destroy them (not delete them) from your
computer if I were you. I think the time lags in
the message times are the result of the virus taking
30 minutes and 48 second to get the original (and
harmless or not) message from Steve, infect it from
an infected host computer and send a copy of itself
back to the List server, 52 seconds to receive it back
and do it again... Hopefully, the List server killed the
virus code, removed it, preserving the text, each and
every time it arrived, and no one got an infected
message at all. That's how it should have happened.
    I wonder about the sad fate (possibly just, though)
of messages #2 through #6 that I never got. The
unmarked graves, no paper trail or records, MIA,
the "disappeared ones," as they say in Argentina.
    I'd get rid of it, anyway. I sure did.

Sterling Webb

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2005-August/176787.html
Sat Aug 6 09:29:23 EDT 2005