[meteorite-list] What are the FeO/MnO Ratios for the Kalahari 008, 009?

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 10 06:35:44 2005

When this meteorite came to my attention as a member of the NomCom, warning
bells went off in my head too. Enough evidence was presented to us to
convince us that these were meteorites, although I expected this not to be
the case, that we had to name them. But the find story is very odd. My
reading of it is this: somebody who knows nothing about meteorites is
driving his vehicle in the Kalahari. In a brushy area (based on satellite
imagery: get World Wind, then search the MetBull database for Kalahari
008/9 and click on the nasa link to see the place), he parks in front of a
sand dune and there he sees a rock: no fusion crust, probably very
nondescript looking, the size of a cantaloupe melon. Oh, he says, here's
something cool... a rock! I think I'll drag this 30 lb thing back home
with me. But first, I think I'll comb the area for more. Hmmm.

jeff