[meteorite-list] Meteorite Found in India

From: star-bits_at_comcast.net <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 11 16:16:33 2005

<"The results of our study indicate that it is a rare iron meteorite
having a significant radioactive content of 54 mn (manganese) and 57 co
(cobalt)," said Mr Narendra Bhandari of the BSRI.>

    Too bad they don't say what "significant" is. The half life of 54Mn is 312.2 days and for 57Co it is 271.8 days. As a general rule after 7 half lives there is very little left. For 54Mn that is just under 6 years. So it is pretty obvious there is none left over from solar system formation.

    What there is most likely comes from cosmic ray exposure, which would be pretty much the same as for any other iron meteorite. There may be more radioactivity if there is more of the precursor material, but they don't mention any significant differences there.

    It may be significant scientifically, but in real world radioactivity safety procedures I doubt it is any different than any other iron in you collection. Unfortunately for the average person "significant radioactivity" brings visions of glowing rocks and lead gloves. Too bad they don't say what "significant" is.

--
Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites