[meteorite-list] Some of you may have a free rare earth magnet

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 16 20:07:57 2005

I thought that this might be of interest to some of you because of magnets being used as a
diagnostic tool in identifying meteorites.

There is a type of AOL disc packaging that is a bulky square cardboard and plastic clamshell box.
The two cardboard flaps snap together magneticly. I had a couple of them and was mildly curious to
see what kind of magnets were inside (I assumed that it would be those weak, flexible magnets that
are sold in rolls in craft stores). But what was inside is a very tiny but very strong (for the
size) coated rare earth magnet-- possibly a Neodymium one. If you have any AOL packages like this,
it would be a nice little freebie to keep inside your wallet or something in case you might happen
to need it.

Photo:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/tiny_magnet.jpg