[meteorite-list] Re: meteorite lands near Mt. Fuji Japan

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 20 00:25:05 2005

Dear Geoff and all that asked questions,
  I was out on the corner balcony of my building
watching the night sky and two aircraft, one inbound
at about 25,000 feet and one outbound at about 20,000
feet ( I live near the main east-west flight path of
Narita Airport.), in the vicinity of Mt. Fuji. The
meteoride passed between the airplane`s location and
mine based on the flash blocking out view of the
aircraft`s lights momentarily. On the corner of my
balcony I have a previously marked notch for sighting
Mt. Fuji (height and direction). Mount Fuji is about
100km from my home; there was a streaking flash from
the meteoroid but no sound heard at my location.
  The chances of recovery from the area, IF it even
fell there, are very slim. Fuji itself is very
difficult climbing ( I climbed to the summit one year
ago) and below the mountain it is heavily forested.
Much of the plain below Fuji is Camp Zama, (military
base) and off-limits.
  Perhaps one or both of the pilots reported seeing
something and there will be a news report. I will let
you know if something appears in the news.
  Because we have such high light pollution at night
in Tokyo and recently cloudy skies at night for months
I was very surprised to witness a meteoroid.
  Norm I did not understand your comment about a
recent time regression of 3 hours.

Best, Dirk...Tokyo