[meteorite-list] re: meteorite lands near Mt. Fuji Japan

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 20 01:12:22 2005

Incandescence requires speed- about Mach 5 and above. In order to maintain
such speeds below about 10 miles height requires a high mass. For a meteor
to persist at 5 miles, it would need to have an initial mass of at least 500
tons, or a size of 3-7 meters diameter, depending on composition. Such an
object would produce a brilliant fireball of the sort seen by thousands,
even in broad daylight, and impressive sonic booms. I expect that the
fireball seen by Dirk was in fact 100km or more beyond Mt Fuji with respect
to his position. Such fireballs frequently appear to be much closer, and
often appear to drop in front of nearby mountains, clouds, or other objects.
In order for a much smaller object to persist to low height would require a
very unusual combination of conditions.

Can you describe the artillery observer methods that you used to estimate
the low height for the fireball you saw?

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com