[meteorite-list] RE: Gravity poll

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 21 17:22:10 2005

Hi Goran,

> I took the only true answer... "you never know"

There are actually two possible correct answers, depending on
how much credit you give to the questioner. The key, as you
point out, is the interpretation of the phrase "same shape
spheres". Did the questioner realize the redundant nature
of the phrase (a sphere's a sphere!), or did he mean for the
extra words to be interpreted as "same size" or "same radius"?
If the latter, then I'm right. If the former, then you are.
Bottom line is that the question was oddly/poorly worded.

You wrote:

> Even if the size is equal this could make the experiment
> fail. If the density is less than the surrounding air neither
> sphere will reach the ground.

True -- but then we are making additional assumptions about
the interpretation of "1 kg" and "10 kg". Are we talking
mass or weight? If mass, then you are correct. Although
he does say the spheres are "dropped" rather than "released",
implying that the densities of the spheres are greater than
that of air.

--Rob