[meteorite-list] Astronomers Gear Up for Historic Asteroid Pass in 2029 (...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 22 19:50:34 2005

Eric O. wrote
:
>"Hey no problem it is years away, long after I am retired." When
>the next impactor is discovered 6 months or 9 months or 1 year
> out there will be little time for anything except the finger pointing.

>"You don't have to change the course of the comet very much to
>miss the keyhole if you do it a number of years in advance,"
>said Clark Chapman,

>And the converse of that is that you don't have to change the
>course much to get an impact either, a bank shot off another
>small asteroid might do or a close approach to a larger one.

Hola Eric,

Don't you see, this is the very reason we need an impact of a body of this
size. Selectively it will take out the bureaucratic tendencies out of our
species, focus the survivors on science, give surviving scientists a wonderful
dignity-redeeming real research project, and finally hush all of the
contradicting voices in the paleontological and tektite worlds about what happens.
Well, maybe some things never change. Just remember, intelligent monkies are
directly attributed by science gracias to the Yucatan impact 65.X million
years ago, if not we might just be a bunch of lazy Quetzalcoatlus' gazing on
computer screens the size of big screen TVs...typing away on our beakboards. Is
NASA ready to remove nature's next Monkey wrench so obsolete Hominids can
survive?

Re, your comment on the Converse, I got mine laced-up in preparation for the
big event (and I expect there will be a hell of a party), since, with all
the cataloged objects, should we doubt that at least those have been run
effectively (besides Juno, Ceres, Vesta, Pallas) according to the possibility you
suggest? (shrugging the shoulders) It would be interesting to know what
assumptions were made regarding our own Moon's contributions to its orbit for the
followup visits...

Saludos, Doug