[meteorite-list] RE: Large Meteor Observed Over Antarctica

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 25 15:05:03 2005

Hello Ron and List,

  Thanks for the post, Ron. Pretty impressive event.

   You had posted in part:

  "Measuring roughly 10 metres it is the biggest body
to enter Earth's atmosphere in the past decade.Its
travel time from entering Earth's atmosphere 75 kms up
until it LANDED? Just five seconds.
Scientists believe that the asteroid's original size
was close to that of a small house weighing a thousand
tonnes and that if it had not broken up on entry into
the atmosphere its effect on impact would have been
that of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima."

  Obviously the great, great majority of the incoming
body is represented by the enormous dust cloud. But
with (my) emphasis on the word "LANDED" above, I'm
curious if there are any thoughts that fragments may
have actually made in to the surface? And, if so,
would it be feasible with the known facts about the
"entry co-ordinates", etc., that a successful search
could be mounted?

  Thanks again,
  Robert Woolard
  http://www.portalesvalleymeteorites.com