[meteorite-list] [UPDATE] Daytime Fireball in Southern California (2005 Aug 24 Wed. 16:54:28 PDT)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 26 19:45:46 2005

Still requesting reports from eye-witnesses!

Here's the good news:
Ernie Iverson's All-Sky Camera in Carson California
captured an image of this fireball on his video!!

Jim Gamble contacted Ernie within an hour of my post
and alerted him to check his video. Being a day-time
fireball it was difficult to find, at first, but the
brightest part of the flight was definitely captured.

Ernie used a program to determine start and ending
azimuth and elevation readings. And Rob Matson used
these numbers to run calculations which generated
graphs depicting a range of predicted Bolide Velocity
and Bolide Azimuth. Everyones efforts resulted in
confirming that the fireball passed over San Diego
County, maybe as far south as Chula Vista, or even
Tijuana.

Now here's the bad news:
Still no report of a sonic-boom.
It's possible that a sonic-boom occurred over Baja
California and was not reported in this country.
Also, we need more eye-witness reports!
Just one more eye-witness or new video would help us
constrain the wide ranges in our calculations.

Hard to believe that with all of the meteor observers
in this area and we can't find any more eye-witnesses.
Unfortunately, this was a day-time fireball. Had this
event occurred at the same time, but in January,
LA/San Diego rush-hour would have been treated to a
great light-show, and it would have been featured in
all the news wires and TV with "video at 11"!

Looking forward to making one more "UPDATE",
one with all "good news".

With best regards,
Bob V.
Bolide_Chasers