[meteorite-list] Dhofar 025 Real or Phony

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 27 04:40:05 2005

Hi Don,

I bought a crumb and I was more than skeptic too.
Beside that it looked to vesicular, the story the seller told can't be true.
She stated that her husband acquired a chunk through ebay at a time were the
finder sold it exclusively
and indeed he never sold fragments or endcuts but only thin slices. My
specimen was fairly thick, had no cut faces,
thus wasn't broke off from a slice. The main mass of Dho 025, was sold
later, can't stem from it.
I planned to show it to the finder, Serge Afanasjev from cometshop, who else
could judge better and to the lunar master, Norbert Classen, but I have to
confess, that my piece got lost in my chaotic strewnfield (Perhaps the cat
kicked it behind the piano).
I also told Illinois-Arnold, that it might be not a good idea to use his
piece to fabricate giveaways, but he didn't care.
So I suggest, that you or any other who took a substantial fragment, may
send it to the IMCA-Europe-chief Norbert Classen,
who also will meet the finder Afanasjev on the end of October at the Munich
show.

Cheers!
Martin