[meteorite-list] Re: Ad Ebay auctions ending and new book sale, NWA sale

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 30 18:49:24 2005

Hi All
I have some Ebay auctions ending tonight. Several still at $1.00.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmeteorfinder

I updated my last NWA Bessy meteorite sale page. Still has lots of goodies remain unsold. All are 20% off.

http://jensenmeteorites.com/A100.htm

I also have some extra copies of a of book I recently offered for sale. This is a
special price with an original list of over $125. I am offering them here for only $75 each plus shipping. This is close to 40% off the original price. I cannot replace these books at this price. Only two copies available.
The book has a who's who of top scientists as the authors. See details below.

Meteorites - Flux with Time and Impact Effects

Author/Editor: Edited by G. J. H. McCall, M.M. Grady and R. Hutchison
and D. Rothery
Publication date: 25 August 1998
Binding: Hardback
Pages: 272

The Earth is bombarded constantly by material from space. Evidence of
this bombardment comes both from craters that may form prominent features
in the landscape, and samples of the impactors curated as meteorites. Since
the impact of extraterrestrial material on Earth has the potential to be of more
than local significance, and can lead to effects traceable in both the
geological and biological record, it is important to obtain an accurate picture
of the extent
of bombardment. Several techniques have been used to derive estimates for the
flux of extraterrestrial material to the Earth, both now and throughout the
geological record. The methods used to assess meteorite fluxes and impact
effects are diverse and involve scientists from different communities
(geologists, geochemists, biologists and astronomers).The volume commences with
description of the meteorite flux with time, covering both small bodies
(including strewn fields and the problem of 'pairing' of meteorites) and large
bodies capable of producing craters and cryptoexplosion features. The discussion
includes the different ways in which the flux has been determined
(from observational astronomy, meteorite collection statistics and theoretical
calculations). Following on this comes the documentation of impacts in the
geological record and their effects on the environment, focusing specifically on
the Cretaceous-Tertiary (K/T) boundary mass extinction event. Although the
geophysical and geochemical evidence for a large impact at the end of the
Cretaceous period is quite clear, the possible environmental consequences of an
impact are still a matter of active debate, and the fossil record is by no means
an unambiguous record of the mass extinction so frequently reported.

Principle Authors: M. M. Grady, Natural History Museum, UK. E. M. Shoemaker,
Lowell Observatory, USA.M. E. Bailey, Armagh Observatory, UK.W. M. Napier,
Armagh Observatory, UK.D. W. Hughes, University of Sheffield, UK.P. A.
Bland, Western Australian Museum, Australia. A. W. R. Bevan, Western Australian
Museum of Natural Science, Australia. A. J. T. Jull, University of Arizona,
USA.M. Zolensky, NASA Johnson Space Center, USA.R. A. F Grieve, Geological
Survey of Canada, Canada.C. Koeberl, University of Vienna, Austria. A. R.
Hildebrand, Geological Survey of Canada, Canada. P. K. H. Maguire, University of
Leicester, UK. J. G. Spray, University of New Brunswick, Canada. I. Gilmour, The
Open University, UK. N. MacLeod, The Natural History Museum, UK. A. C. Milner,
The Natural History Museum, UK. A. Hallam, University of Birmingham, UK

Contents: Preface • Meteorites: their flux with time and impact
effects •
Long-term variations in the impact cratering record on Earth • The flux of
extraterrestrial material to the Earth: determination by astronomical and
statistical techniques • Cometary capture and the nature of the impactors
Napier, W. M.: Galactic periodicity and the geological record • The mass
distribution of crater producing bodies • The flux of meteorites to the Earth:
determinations by terrestrial techniques • Calculating flux from meteorite decay
rates: A discussion of problems encountered in deciphering a 105 to 106 year
integrated meteorite flux at Allan Hills and a new approach to pairing •
Meteorite flux on the Nullarbor region, Australia • 14C terrestrial ages of
meteorites from Victoria Land, Antarctica, and the infall rates of meteorites •
The flux of meteorites to Antarctica • Craters and impactites • Extraterrestrial
impacts on Earth: the evidence and the consequences • Identification of
meteoritic components in impactites • Mapping Chicxulub crater structure with
gravity and seismic reflection data • Preliminary results from a passive seismic
array over the Chicxulub impact structure in Mexico • Localized shock-and
friction-induced melting in response to hypervelocity impact • Geochemistry of
carbon in terrestrial impact processes • Impacts and marine invertebrate
extinction • Environmental consequences: the palaeontological evidence relating
to mass-extinctions • Timing and causes of vertebrate extinction at
the K-T boundary • Mass extinctions in Phanerozoic time

Please email me if you have any questions.