[meteorite-list] Total Number of Meteorites?

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 6 12:18:23 2005

Dear Listees:

Greetings all. I was interviewed by a reporter today for a follow-up on
the Brenham story, and he asked me a good question, which was along the
lines of: "What is the total known number of different meteorites,
including all Antarctic Finds and all classified NWAs?"

Anyone have an up-to-date number on that?

Also, there's a popular quote I've heard mentioned a number of times
which goes something like: "The total weight of all meteorites
recovered in history is less that the planet's annual output of gold."
Can anyone recall the original source of that quote? Is it "Rocks from
Space?"

Any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff N.