[meteorite-list] Total Number of Meteorites?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 6 12:30:46 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:18:18 -0700, "Notkin" <geoking_at_notkin.net> wrote:

>Dear Listees:
>
>Greetings all. I was interviewed by a reporter today for a follow-up on
>the Brenham story, and he asked me a good question, which was along the
>lines of: "What is the total known number of different meteorites,
>including all Antarctic Finds and all classified NWAs?"

The problem that I see with figuring out that number is the loss of pairing info from Antarctica and
NWA. Find a hundred meteorites in Antarctica, each gets its own number. Find a hundred in the
Sikhote-Alin strewnfeild, for example, and they are all counted as the same meteorite. So unless
each individual piece from each known strewnfeild is counted as a seperate meteorite, compairing
numbers from known falls to Antarctica and many NWAs is comparing apples and disarticulated
pomegranate pips.