[meteorite-list] baygorria vs. campo

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 8 14:53:41 2005

Hi List Members,

Martin asked about the similarities between NWA 849 and Campo with this
statement:

And can me someone tell me details about NWA 849 vs. Campo?
http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/HB2W.jpg
Looks so similar and the values are so similar.

Coordinates were provided for NWA 849 by the Aronsons of Sahara Overland
and I believe this piece was studied at UCLA. I am sure if UCLA suspected
this material was Campo they would have noted this since they run into Campo
all time according to an article I read in Meteorite Magazine. I have had
nothing but honest business dealings with Sahara Overland and have no reason
to doubt the meteorites origin. There are a few other high-integrity dealers
like the Jensens who also carry NWA 849. IAB Course octahedrites are one of
the most common Iron type meteorites out there so the provenance is very
important.

In the Case of Baygorria, it is my belief that these are all definitely
paired to Campo del Cielo. The dealers who brought this material to Tucson
admitted the fraud to Mike Farmer in Spanish which Mike speaks fluently. Not
only that, the entry in the Meteoritical Bulletin states that they are
similar in composition. Given the heterogeneity of iron meteorites and the
slight differences in calibration of equipment used to study them, I would
state the original Baygorria consisting of a single stone and Campo del
Cielo are virtually identical.

All course octahedrites are susceptible to weathering because of the
relatively low nickel content so this cannot be used to distinguish them
from one another. Only one Baygorria has ever been submitted for lab work
and was determined to be similar to Campo del Cielo, everything else is a
fraud.

Expressing my opinion, if in doubt, check it out!

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock
IMCA 2185