[meteorite-list] New Find

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 14 23:45:45 2005

John, Wow, another oriented metal meteorite, too bad it wasn't as big as
Steve's! Best thing to do is not to count your chickens before they hatch,
though, nor put the cart before the horse. Find out when these guys have office
hours at UCLA and bring your potential treasure to show them:

http://www.ess.ucla.edu/researchers/rubin/index.asp
http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/wasson/

If they have a moment to offer you, you will be in some of the best hands in
the science, as academic institutions are the only definitive places to get
you meteorite authenticated and CLASSIFIED, and it just so happens a lot of
the book on classifications of irons was written at UCLA. If not, there are
plenty of experts that can authenticate meteorites in your area, or dealers in
the stuff that at least give you some pointers:
(www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com if you are in San Diego), try Michael and see if he likes it. He gets
lots of inquiries on this stuff.

Once it is authenticated, then come back and ask about everything else and
there will be plenty of people helping you. If you want take a digital photo
now and post us a link, or mail it to me and everyone else who wants and we
can look at it and see what we make of it. While it is usually difficult for
rusted chunks of metal by image, certain morphology (shapes) on the iron cou
ld be pretty convincing to list members...

Best of luck and please let us know!
Saludos, Doug

John wrote:
It looks like I may have an oriented Iron 4-5 pound class.

In SoCal.....wondering how best to maximize the value and the procedures to
take.

Should I get a slice taken and the specs on that operation....and send to a
college for ID and type? And then try to market?

Or simply try to find a collector who may want to buy it?

Thank you for any suggestions.

John