[meteorite-list] OK -So, What, Where, When and How?

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 18 22:45:53 2005

Definitely "undercover"! ;]

From: "Gary K. Foote" <gary_at_webbers.com>
To: dfreeman <dfreeman_at_fascination.com>
CC: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] OK -So, What, Where, When and How?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:44:18 -0500

Me? LEO? Not a chance. Just a newbie with a direct nature. Thanks for
all you
offered. It'll help me avoid a lot of mis-steps.

It's sad that such a scientific endeavor has to follow so many rules in the
pursuit of
knowledge. Must be the dealer mentality. I'm just a new 'collector'
interested in
avoiding reinventing the wheel.

Here's a pic of me with some friends. I'm next to last from the left with
the grey
beard. That's my wife CJ just to my left. Tell me if I look like LEO to
you :)

http://www.newenglandbikers.com/images/brothers-in-bristol.jpg

Best,

Gary

On 18 Dec 2005 at 18:33, dfreeman wrote:

> Dear List;
> What the heck, I'll give it a try!
> Best spots to find a new find is where there are no or very few
> terrestrial rocks now on the surface. Try areas of sand dunes, farm
> fields of Kansas (where there aren't many earth rocks on the surface.
> Areas of erosion surfaces are best in any areas as depositional areas
> will bury your potential finds even deeper.
> Best strewnfields....Franconia, Gold basin come to mind first.
> I like my GM-3 Whites but there are a number of pretty good models.
> Prerequisite, spend more than $200, do not waste money on Radioshack
> junk. Magnets are nice if mounted on a stick. One can touch the
> suspected meteorite while it is on the ground instead of picking up
> millions of pieces of meteorwrongs. Always take a second look at all
> rocks with the appearance of fusion crust even if they aren't magnetic
> (Yahoo! Dave uses old knowledge to properly use the term magnetic). My
> favorite tool are my eyes. I can see much more easily than I can swing a
> detector all day. I can cover 20 times the area in this method. I am
> speaking of cold hunting, not the middle of an active strewnfield here.
> Any techniques I have invented are soon to be patented, sorry.
> Avoid at all costs....hunting on private property with out permission of
> the owner. Court costs, bail, forfiture of any found meteorites and
> possibly loosing your vehichle and equiptment come to mind. That and
> lead poisoning.
>
> By asking so many questions, are you an officer of the law, or a
> government official??????
> It might be more helpful for you to read the list archives rather than
> play 40 questions maybe.....
> DF
>
> Gary K. Foote wrote:
>
> >This might be a silly batch of questions regarding meteorite hunting.
Y'all might feel
> >proprietary about your personal hunting grounds, methods, etc., and
I'll understand if