[meteorite-list] Re: NWA 2999 - A Case for Mercury?

From: Martin Horejsi <accretiondesk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 20 16:02:04 2005

Hi All,

In my September 2004 Accretion Desk article in the Meteorite
Times.com, I wrote about the space mission currently enroute to the
little planet. In 2011, MESSENGER will go into orbit about Mercury and
we should have some good data about what the planet is made of by
then.

http://www.meteoritetimes.com/Back_Links/2004/September/Accretion_Desk.htm

There was speculation a while ago that the enstatite-rich stones,
especially the achondrites, might be the best candidates for a
Mecurian parent body. I spoke to the astronaut Stanley Love (the sixth
reference (1995) down on David W's list) about this several years ago
in Houston. It sounded like until we are at Mercury, the jury will
remain out.

Further, given the absurd amount of luck necessary for ejecta to reach
earth from Mercury, I suspect we will have specimens in our
collections from many other planets or moons as well.

Maybe meteorites really are an investment?

Cheers,

Martin