[meteorite-list] NWA paying for terrorism?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 21 17:03:18 2005

Hi Gary,
        Unfortunately, Richard & Roland Pelisson have slandered the entire
meteorite community, maintaining, essentially, if you get any NWA material
from any source but them you are contributing directly to the funding of
terrorists.
        That is about as logical as saying it is OK to kidnap, detain and
torture any US citizen caught smoking pot & hold them without charges
or legal representation - as, "everyone knows" that terrorists fund their
enterprises by selling drugs, so any pot head is a terrorist supporter, and,
therefore, a threat to Homeland Security.
        While it may be true that at some time some terrorists raised $
by selling drugs it hardly makes the local high school pot head a terrorist
supporter. Likewise, there may have been an occasion when a terrorist or
terrorists sold some meteorites for money. Statistically, both would seem
likely. (Terrorists have also, undoubtedly "raised money" selling cars,
houses, camels & candy!). However, to pretend that ALL, MOST, or even a
significant minority of NWA material has been marketed to raise money
for terrorism is obscenely twisted. Even more twisted than to pretend
that the majority of drug sales are anything other than greed driven
and a response to a supply/demand situation & any terrorist activity
in that realm represents a distinctly and obviously tiny portion of
the activity overall.
        The vast majority of NWA material of which I am aware comes via
Dean Bessey, Mike Farmer, Jim Strope, the Hupes, Bruno & Carin, ET,
Alain & Louis Carion, and many others like them. Do you think for one
minute they have all been going over there and finding terrorists from
whom to buy their material??? Or, rather do you think they have all
built up contacts over the years and dealt with go betweens with
the nomads and other finders of meteorites in the desert?
        Richard & Roland Pelisson have been taken to court in France by
Bruno & Carin for their slanderous accusations. There was a huge petition
at last year's Tucson Gem & Mineral Show denouncing Richard & Roland
Pelisson for their scandalous accusations in which they called every
collector, dealer and scientist a terrorist supporter if they ever bought,
owned, collected or currated NWA material - of course, unless they bought
it from the Pelissons!
        You figure out the credibility of their allegations and motivation.
I don't know about you, but I take great offense at being accused of
supporting terrorism!
        Sincerely, Michael Blood

--
The thing that sometimes has me hazy is whether it is them or I that's
crazy.