[meteorite-list] Fw: SAP

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 25 12:19:20 2005

You know, I mulled his concept over a little more last night. For just for a moment of fantasy,
let's assum that he was truthful about this "contest". He wants one of his prizes to be a $100,000
meteorite. Which would mean, I would guess, that the other 11 prizes to reach the $1,000,000 would
NOT be meteorites. Which means that it wouldn't be a "contest" attractive mainly to meteorite
collectors. That leads to a few questions:

Would a non-meteorite collector be impressed by a $100,000 meteorite?

Would a non-meteorite collector be more impressed by a $100,000 meteorite than by a $1,000
meteorite? Especially concidering that a $100,000 would probably have to be a chunk of a planetary
sample, and fit in the palm of your hand?

If that non-meteorite collector WAS impressed by his $100,000 meteorite, would he be willing to pay
the hefty tax bill that he would need to pay to keep that meteorite (at least in the US). I don't
know the exact tax rate for prize winnings, but I'd figure that he'd have to pay at least $20,000 to
$30,000 to keep it. I'd think, as a general rule of thumb, usually people that can't afford to pay
$100,000 for a meteorite also can't afford to pay $20,000 for a meteorite.

Wouldn't that non-meteorite collector, IF he could afford to drop $20,000 or more on taxes the next
year, much rather have, oh, a new house, a pretty nice boat, or a damned nice sports car for those
tax dollars?

If it were a real prize in a real contest, it sure isn't a well thought out one.

Again, taking the fantasy position that this isn't an out-and-out scam, who here wants to bet that
he has the cash on hand to pay for the meteorite and the other $900,000 worth of prizes? Or is it
more likely that he is wanting to SELL slots in the "contest" and from those sales make enough money
to pay for the prizes after the fact? (Of course, the most likely outcome is that he'd pocket any
money from people dumb enough to buy into the contest AND keep any "prizes" people were dumb enough
to send to him on credit).