[meteorite-list] How to test an iron meteorite ?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 30 10:12:11 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:38:19 +0100 (CET), Pel? Pierre-Marie <pierremariepele_at_yahoo.fr> wrote:

>Hello Doug,
>
>thank you very much for these clear explanations. I
>think I should better find a good laboratory to do
>that as I don't have the equipment at home. It's
>safer.
>
>Maybe ferric chloride test is easier to do ?

On the advise from some from the list, the last time (and so far only, using some cheap Campo slices
that I had picked up on Ebay) time I etched, I used this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102868&cp=&kw=etching&parentPage=search

Neutralized the acid with a baking soda solution, rinsed with water, and dried in the oven at around
100 degrees. It seemed to work pretty well.