[meteorite-list] Mutha Stone

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 30 21:53:38 2005

Hi Mark and List,

You can ask but it won't do any good if it is legal to export. It is legal
to export meteorites and fossils from over half the known world and very
little paperwork is required. None is required for a U.S. find on private
property other than declaring its value.

I only asked because China has specific laws prohibiting the export of
meteorites and fossils. A company I work for was interested in bringing them
out legally but China has a no-deal policy, even if you represent a museum.

No paperwork other than an invoice, a declaration and a waybill is required
from Morocco although a well know dealer from Europe tried to change all of
this a few years back. He only ended up screwing himself in the long run.

I ask again, how was a meteorite legally exported from China who has
specific laws against such actions?

Adam