[meteorite-list] white thingy

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 2 02:25:54 2005

I don't know wherther you would properly call it a chondrule, clast, xenolith, inclusion, or more
than one of the list, but I just received an interesting piece in a lot of NWA 869 from Dean Bessey
that had one of those white spheroids commonly found in 869 OUTSIDE of the fusion crust on an
otherwise fully crusted individual. It is tucked away in a notch in the wedge-shaped, roughly 20
gram piece (and must have had some protection from the heat there). I stared at it a long time with
my 20x loupe before convincing myself that it wasn't a grain of something terrestial that had become
stuck in there. No amount of tapping or thumping dislodges it, and I don't want to actually dig at
it with something sharp because I don't want to destroy it if it is what I think it is.

I don't know how unusual that is, but I thought it was interesting how it survived better than the
material around it, and interesting enough to share.

close-ups of the white object
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/white_thingy.jpg

whole piece (larger piece on the right, from the original Ebay photo)
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/deanpic.jpg