[meteorite-list] A lesson in shock!

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 6 08:54:03 2005

Thanks Tom!

That was a great website and right on time!
I have cut some old rusty NWA:s and when I saw thin black lines my
first thought was that it was an alteration product from the iron.
Later on I realised that it could be shock melt veins.
Now I could not just say that it is a condrite, I know something about
the history of my meteorite too.
Our mineral club have a saw for cutting thin sections but it needs some
service. We have also been promised a polarising microscope from the
university. I just have to fix that equipment so I could go deeper in my
meteorite studies.

And thanks to everyone that wrote about the frequency of meteorite
falls. The speach went very well and I got a great response. I had to
promise to follow up with an article in our club paper.

Now I'm off to a birthday party and of course, the gift is a meteorite.

Have a nice day!

    :-)

/G?ran