[meteorite-list] Velocity vs. mass vs. drag?

From: Tom Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 7 14:04:09 2005

Hello List, I was wondering about strewn field layouts. It is said that the
big pieces fall further than the smaller pieces. But when does drag take
over, with the bigger surface area, it would seem that the drag would slow
them down faster than lets say the medium sized pieces. I could see the
smallest pieces falling at the front of the strewn field but are the biggest
pieces actually at the furthest end. Which is greater, the forces of drag,
or the powers of velocity?

Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier <><
IMCA 6168