[meteorite-list] Rusters: Brahin - Admire - Brenham - Campo?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 9 17:03:55 2005

Hi Jim, Martin, J?rn and rustless rust rustlers,

Jim B.:

> The new Campo material Marvin has seems to be
> really nice stable material and the silicate
> inclusions

Martin A.:

> I had a tiny Admire from Buehler many
> years ago. It's still in good condition.

J?rn K.:

> back in the 1980s, I got a large, beautiful Admire slice.

Like I did (from the Zeitschels).

> During the first 10 years I checked for signs of rust from time to time.

Like I did. No signs worth mentioning. I then got a call from Nicki
Zeitschel who told me about (a Swiss?) customer who complained
about his slice deteriorating rapidly. I told her mine was doing
just fine.

> until one year ago, when I look at it again. Well, the pallasite was in
> the state of disintegration, heavily rusted, olivines pressed out ...

Yep, only difference, ... mine started disintegrating a few years
earlier and it all started with some kind of "discoloration" of the metal
and the olivines -- a darkening, probably the first signs of internal rusting.

> What I want to say is, that even after so
> long time of stability, one can never be sure.

Right. And Brahin is not Brahin, Admire not Admire, and, ... Brenham
is not Brenham. I have told it so often before and will tell you once
again that even though Alexander Seidel warned me years ago about his
Brenham being a rust bucket, my 195-gram slice is still as free of
rust as it was almost 20 years or so ago when I got it.

I got a Quijingue slice from AL Mitterling in March of 2002, and again
someone warned I should keep it dry. It is still OK and looks as fine as
it did when I got it from AL. No special precautions were taken!

My message is: This does not automatically imply that someone
else's Quijingue or Brenham for that matter, is not rusting away.

Best wishes,

Bernd