AW: [meteorite-list] Is Brahin a ruster ?

From: Charles Viau <cviau_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 11 04:39:13 2005

Hello List,

I am certainly no chemist, nor do I profess to be. I purchased a 2+ pounder
pie wedge of Brahin 4 years ago from Finmet. It was polished on all 4 sides,
with crust on the outer surface. After a year, it looked a lot less shiny
then it was when it originally arrived, so I soaked it in 100% Denatured
Alcohol for a day, let it dry out for a few days, and then surface wiped it
with 2-cycle motor oil. It looks as good today (3+years later) as it did
when I originally received it, and it is uncovered, exposed, in a regular
display cabinet with no humidity control. Since I had it out, I wiped it
with oil again and put it back.

I will keep tabs on it, but it is a nice looking specimen right now , as I
examine it.

Just like a person that collects metal car parts, you have to keep it from
oxidizing. A lot of it has to do with environment (This is New England, not
so good,,,) and if kept surface oiled, should look as good as when it was
cut for years to come.

CharlyV -
(who has contaminated a Brahin with snowblower oil, and still loves it.)