Re-2: [meteorite-list] "L o s t" orders

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 11 16:06:47 2005

> > As Mike was assuming, it was once again the bothersome
> > German customs authorities who had their hands in this
> > ploy:

> My German buyers teached me to write on every box I ship to German
> word "GIFT". Maybe You also should write this so customs know why
> You are sending it?

Marcin and List,

The only problem is "gift" is the German word for "poison". So imagine
what the customs people will do? Who would want to be "gifted" = "poisoned" ???

Sorry, just kidding but poison is really "Gift" in German.

No, Mike's package *was* labeled with something like "Specimen for study.
No commercial value" and still we ran into this mess. When I got my beautiful
Tambo Quemado from Eric Twelker, I had to drive downtown to the customs
office (16 km and back again = 32 km) and I had to explain to them why this
was an "educational piece" - otherwise I would have had to pay customs fees.

Cheers,

Bernd