[meteorite-list] Bakesale Juanchengs Continued...

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 13 18:40:11 2005

Hi List,

I wanted to get one of Martin Horejsi's Bake Sale Juancheng kits to
remember the 2005 Tucson show, but I was too slow and he was sold out.
:-(

Then I had a thought, I live in Vail, (Arizona near Tucson) and maybe
Martin could tell me where the dealer was, and I could run into town
after work. He was kind enough to do that and he also told me to make
sure I brought a scale. It turns out I was able to make it on the last
day and I picked up a few nice individuals.

The dealer was already headed for China, but his wife was there getting
ready to close down the room. All she could tell me about them when I
asked about the one on display with some minerals was "No Nantan,
Zhuanchen". I had her spell it as I don't know the proper way to say
Juancheng, and that's the variation on the spelling she gave me. I
don't know if that's a correct variation on the name, or just a phonetic
spelling.

There weren't any nice small pieces left (at least not full individuals
w/ crust - Martin got all of the classic little ones I suppose). But I
picked up the few larger ones. Martin mentioned that there were many
like me who wanted one of the kits w/ the cool story, so I picked up a
few extras. With his blessing, I'm selling some w/ his story plus my
addition. I have 5 groups of 2 that I'm willing to part with. The
average weight of each kit is 7.5 grams and most are 99-100% crusted
(one is 90%, but appears to have secondary crust on an irregular surface
that must have been broken - I thought it was one of the nicer broken
ones). They are all unique little pieces too. Each kit will be $47
post paid in the U.S. If you're out of the country, I could pro-rate
the included US postage to the cost of airmail to your location.

Please let me know if you're interested and I'll sell them on a first
email, first serve basis.

I'd like to give a special thanks to Martin for bringing these to
our attention. One of my favorites to collect; Fresh, black-crusted
little space rocks! And a "fall" with a human story to boot!

Clear skies,

Mark Bowling
Vail, AZ