[meteorite-list] RE: haag pieces and a story of mine

From: RYAN PAWELSKI <yellowengine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 13 21:04:05 2005

Good Evening List....

I must say that I can see why Haag collection pieces are so desireable. I truely believe that I wouldn't have even started collecting meteorites if it weren't for Mr. Haag. As it turns out, the very first meteorite that I purchased was from Bob himself back in 96' or 97' (a small etched part-slice of Gibeon). I was only fourteen or fifteen at the time. I still remember getting that phone call like it was yesterday, and my mother shouting to me, "Ryan! You've got a phone call from the meteorite man or somone (???)". The meteorite man?? LOL I picked up the phone only to hear a very enthusiastic, lively voice on the other end of the line, something on the order of "Hey dude! It's Bob Haag, "The Meteorite Man"!" I distinctly remember how kind he was, even though he must have known that I didn't have much money to spend on meteorites at that age. To me, that shows how important getting more younger people involved in collecting was to him, and collecting meteorites in general. That piece of Gibeon is probably
 nothing much to most collecters, but for me it symbolizes the begining of many more years of collecting and enjoyment to come. It still sits in it's place on the top shelf in my display cabinet. Just thought I'd share that story to all of you this evening since we're on the Haag collection piece topic. Good night all, and happy collecting.

Best Regards,

Ryan