[meteorite-list] Lost packages (kind of long - sorry) :-)

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 14 01:33:50 2005

Hi Mike & List,

Our company's only charge back experiences involved Germany and Mexico.
In Mexico, a lady's older son was using her card. He ordered once,
waited a few weeks and ordered again and repeated again which happens a
lot for us w/ not bad repercussions. Before the third package got out,
we got the first charge back. They admitted received the packages, but
the charge back was still approved and we didn't receive our stuff back.
Now we don't mail to Mexico as it's nearly impossible to get a delivery
confirmation as the CC companies require. We do have a store and a
distributor in Mexico, so we don't feel that's to harsh of a decision.

In Germany, the customer claimed her card was stolen and unfortunately
the customer added a few high value items by email just after placing
the order, so we really got stung on that one. Now anything to Germany
has to go with a delivery confirmation to the billing address. It
increases the shipping from $10 flat rate to $25 or more.

We learned that two of the stipulations that cc companies require (and
we didn't follow) is a confirmation of delivery to the cc billing
address (plus some standard documentation - copy of the invoice and
customer order requests, etc).

Check with PayPal Mike, and see if that's all they need to stop a charge
back request. It may not work in our favour 100% of the time, but it
does show due diligence and an effort on our part to avoid fraud. We
haven't had any problems since.

The main thing to find out is what happens when the package arrives
after a charge back goes through. Will PayPal go ahead and get your
money for you, or do they have a time limit for delivery and say you're
out of luck after that time. I say as long as the customer receives the
merchandise, they're obligated to pay for it. That's how I operate as a
consumer. I has somebody ~200 miles away send me 2 books that didn't
arrive. They gave me a refund, but when the package arrived ~9 months
later, I fired a check off to them. How fun of a hobby/study area would
it be if the collectors chase all the hunters out of the business...

What ever PayPal says doesn't help with these current packages, but it
will help you determine what you future policy will be. Also, we use a
"return receipt" as a delivery confirmation for international shipments.
It isn't called a delivery confirmation, but the description in the USPS
regs says it provides confirmation of delivery.

Now the only problem is lost packages that never show up at all. I
don't know what the mail fraud implications are regarding falsely
claiming value. It seems to me that it creates an unreasonable
situation on your part. If you ask them to fax you a signed release
regarding lost packages, it could cause you problems. Europeans should
probably end up having to pay the duty on the true value, and at least
take comfort in the fact that the exchange rate is in their favor. I
could see you making an exception for lower valued pieces, but when it's
adding up to thousands, you shouldn't be castigated by the European
collecting community for requiring insurance (thus stating the true
specimen value). After all, if the package never gets through, they get
their money back and didn't have to pay any duty either...

Can it be that something for scientific study has no duty, but still has
insured value???? Worth checking into, but I'm sure somebody would do
it if that were the case.

I wish you success in getting out ahead with these bad situations,

Mark in Vail