[meteorite-list] Lost packages

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 14 19:21:45 2005

I guess what it all boils down to is you have to decide if you're a
business man whose goal is to make a profit (and develop happy customers in
the process), or if you're goal is to turn over merchandise whether or not
you make a profit. If you decide to be a businessman, you should take the
proper steps to protect yourself financially by requiring insurance and
tracking on every package you ship. If a customer elects to not pay for
insurance, he can purchase his goods somewhere else or give you a statement
in writing that he won't hold you liable for items lost during shipping. In
the case of the latter, you will probably loose the customer anyway because
any customer that looses money is an unhappy customer.

There's one dealer I'm aware of that offers FREE shipping if you buy a
certain $$ amount of specimens from him. He must be crazy, right? Yeah,
crazy like a fox.

Why are so many people willing to risk the loss to save a few bucks on
insurance? Trackable shipping and insurance just make good business sense.

Best,

John Gwilliam