[meteorite-list] chondrules?

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 14 23:15:24 2005

Gerald, Tracy & list,

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out in the field, and
probably have no business responding anyway, but your
question is an interesting one. I have worked with
lots of accretionary lapilli in volcanic settings all
over the world. Like Tracy said, I also know of no
chondrules with truly equivalent concentric structure.

However, the general idea of accretionary dust-balls
and condensates in the solar nebula is appealing.
What we would need to do to make the resulting
sphereoids match observations is recrystallization by
one means or another. Many chondrules consist of
single minerals. It might even make sense for some
of the armoring that we see to result from misfit
impurities being expelled from the growing crystal to
its exterior rim.

Understand that my comments are a gross speculation
based on terrestrial knowledge. I have virtually no
familiarity with published chondrule research, so I'm
sure there are others on the list that can offer
better answers.

That said, I would reaffirm that the mental image
suggested by accretionary lapilli is intuitively very
appealing. It must've been something analogous---

Regards,
Norm
(http://tektitesource.com)