[meteorite-list] Did Gibeons Collide?

From: Ruben Garcia <meteoritemall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 15 19:40:43 2005

Hi All,
Can someone explain this...
Is it as simple as two Gibeons colliding in space? Or
is there some other explanation?

This is the 1st cut on a larger Gibeon meteorite. It
is common practice for me to etch the 1st piece
immediately after it is cut. I do this without any
sanding or polishing. Its done for the purpose of
checking the etch ( I like to make sure it is a rich
brilliant etch before slicing and dicing the entire
meteorite.) When this beautiful etch began to appear I
started to see two completely different widmanstatten
patterns appearing. when the etch was complete after
only a few minutes this is what I saw. I've cut and
etched hundreds of iron meteorites and etched
thousands of slices and never before seen such a
distinct separation in two patterns on the same
meteorite.
Has anyone else ever seen ( outside of a museum)
something like this?

http://www.geocities.com/meteoritemall/gib1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/meteoritemall/gib2.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/meteoritemall/gib3.JPG