[meteorite-list] chondrules?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 15 20:10:31 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:09:51 +0000, j.divelbiss_at_att.net wrote:

>Darren, Jerry and others,
>
>The Google search that Darren did gives you lots of nice pics from Jeff Rowell's site, and others. Jeff is a good friend of mine who has been selling very nice covered sections for a few years now. He is not a list member, but he is definetly someone who is into meteorite sections. I have many from him and highly recommend him to others. He uses a very good section maker and has had good instincts over the years in selecting materials/pieces to study.
>
>He is good with a camera, and has a pretty good idea on how to analyze these things (sections), not unlike other capable novices like Bernd. I think Jeff has some geology background too.
>
>His website is below. His ebay handle is: mrowell
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/jeff.rowell/Default.htm

Even if you don't want to /can't afford buying thin sections to study, you can examine chondrules in
"hand" specimens pretty well with simple magnification. I use a 20x triplet loupe similar to this
one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1215&item=6511994470&rd=1 and just
recently bought one of these (though I got mine on Ebay for half that price)
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=63-1133. I can't see
individual crystals like you can with a thin section through a polarizing filter, but I can get a
pretty good look at more obvious features-- fracturing, barred olivine, "pac-man" chondrules, and
the like.