[meteorite-list] First meteorites

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 17 09:45:55 2005

Martin A. kindly wrote

> It's a DREAM for every collector once to find a
> meteorite!A dream, which for the biggest part of European
> collectors won't come true.

Hi All,

It took me about two hours to find my first meteorite, a wonderful 69g iron. I knew little about meteorites at the time, but the high contrast of the search area, essentially black meteorites on a white background, made the discovery much easier especially since I did not own a metal detector.

Since I did not know what most meteorites looked like, much of what I saw meant little to me. But as everyone knows, iron meteorites are easier to discern from stones so that is likely why my first meteorite find was an iron.

Anyway, after two hours of hard work, I finally zeroed in on an interesting object. I was excited, but still unsure of what I was doing, but I took the risk. I picked up the phone and called the number on price list. David New answered, and after a very pleasant and informative talk, a be
autiful 69g etched end section of Mundrabillia was on its way to me in the mail.

I have since ?found? hundreds of other meteorites, but nothing comes close to the excitement and confusion of the first one.

Cheers,

Martin H.