[meteorite-list] First meteorites -- Glaciers

From: Mark Langenfeld <mlangen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 17 11:53:03 2005

I have often wondered whether the enormous relict moraines from the last
glacial advances might not contain concentrations of meteorites which
fell on those vast ice fields. Such morainal debris has repeatedly
yielded up both gold and diamonds transported some distance from the
deposits from which those mineral were scoured. Why not meteorites
(although by a somewhat different transport mechanism)?

I wondered enough about that to actually scout some of the major
terminal moraines in the upper midwest (U.S.). Those efforts, however,
were largely confounded by the enormous amount of magnetite and
magnetite-bearing rocks brought down from the iron fields of the
Canadian shield. The jury is still out, I think, on the ultimate
question. But anyone searching those deposits for the answer will have
to be both extraordinarily resolute and not a little lucky.

Mark
Madison, WI