[meteorite-list] Finally a field nickel test

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 22 02:34:42 2005

I would like report a field nickel test that I'm using. I've been
frustrated in the past trying to test 'suspect' irons in the field, and I
suspect I'm not alone. I have seen in the met list archives
discussion of field nickel tests. All tests reported were discouraging,
and that the litmus style nickel tests were not useful.

The test that works for me is actually designed for the jewelry
industry to test jewelry for people who are nickel allergic. The
product is made by Allerderm Labs in Phoenix, AZ
http://www.allerderm.com/consumers/allertest.asp and it costs about
$13 plus shipping. The perk is it comes in nice eyedrop bottles and
is easily transportable.

Its a dimethylglyoxime test using two reagents and a Q-tip.
How I finally used it in the field is by grinding a small window on the
iron or stone, then using several Q-tips and alcohol I throughly clean
a spot on the window that I'll test. When the Q-tips no longer show
any dirt on them and come away clean, I begin the test. On a clean
Q-tip: 1 drop Solution A (1% dimethylglyoxime) and 1 drop Solution
B (10% Ammonium hydroxide). Hold against the test area 30 sec.

If there is no nickle present, its nice and clean with no discoloration.
IF some nickle present (like stone), its muddy brown. For some
irons it turns cherry red. I can not give any info on false positives.

I hope this is useful for other hunters in the field.

BTW - I got to use this test this weekend on a 61 pound iron
recovered in the Texas Panhandle.

-mt
IMCA 2760