[meteorite-list] tile saw cut meteorites?

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 26 08:51:02 2005

the maximum thickness a 6" saw like this can handle is about 2" (+/- 1/8").

an integral vice is quite helpful, as is a new thin (knerf) blade. I have tried the thicker industrial blades (used in road saws, etc.) with the segmented-like diamond edges without much success in getting good cuts. Plus the losses are much higher with these thicker blades.

The knerf blades with a continuous edge of glued-on diamonds do a nice of cutting a straight smooth surface when the blade is fresh. Though the knerf blades don't seem to last real long either...depending how much metal is in the material you are cutting. After about 10 cuts it starts to labor a bit, and one has to go slower at that point. Dressing the blade by cutting a piece of quartz can help a little bit.

I don't cut irons with my 6"saw.

John
PS New saws like this are about $250 (used ones can be found for $150)...and blades run anywhere from $15 to $25 a piece, unless you can buy in bulk.

-------------- Original message from "Bob Evans" <bobe5531_at_comcast.net>: --------------