[meteorite-list] Quarter of Mars Scientists at European MeetingBelieve Life Possible on Mars

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 26 16:00:45 2005

Howdy

   Keep me off that list, even if the NASA Astrobiology Institute is
paying my bills nowadays. Methane can be produced by geology,
formaldehyde is a natural by-product of methane in Mars' viciously
oxidizing environment, and hexaoctahedral magnetite can be produced
abiotically.
   I also disagree that the "yes, buts" are more strained. Quite the
contrary - the "yes, buts" are reasoned and impassionate as science is
supposed to be, and the life claims have been coming faster in the New
York Times than in Science or Nature lately.
   There will be proof of life on Mars when we prove that there is life on
Mars, not just that it looks like there could be life on Mars. This is
a serious question with a thousand important implications, and We can't
accept a partial answer or rushed judgement to it either way.
   Keep in mind that we still have not sent a dedicated life-detection
instrument to Mars excepting Viking, which was later shown to be
painfully insensitive to "life signs".

Cheers,
MDF

--